Wednesday 19 November 2014

Urst Mulmo, Underhive Scum

Guilder Yakob Pento has recruited yet another hired gun into his entourage - this time an Underhive Scummer by the name of Urst Mulmo.
 

I've long considered this Necromunda Scum figure as a 'modern' figure...it amazes me that this sculpt is nearing 20 years old! Although a lot of the Necromunda range leaves my pretty cold (Eschers excepted), the Michael Perry Scummers are pretty nice (except perhaps the one with the bare torso).
 
I tried to get a different skin tone on the Scummer - a pale red head. I added a pale grey to the highlight mix and then lightly washed his ears and tip of his nose with a red wash. I think it works pretty well. I also reined in the bright colours for a second paintjob in a row, giving him a workman-like grey stillsuit. Yellow accents on the stillsuit and a purple bandana hopefully tie him in with the rest of the Trading Guild.

To be a member of the Trading Guild you must either be fat or have facial hair

10 comments:

  1. Really nice addition, Apart from a couple of sculpts on which weapons are way too big, the necromunda sculpts get along just fine with confrontation stuff. loads of the late confrontation models came with flat poses and bigger weapons we would later find during 40k 2nd ed.
    On top of that you can rarely go worng with the Perrys.
    I like his draker attire, that makes hime look like some mercenary or a newer recruit. he's also the only one to look almost normal !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think where the Necromunda stuff misses (as opposed to the Confrontation figures), is the uniformity (e.g. every Orlock wears a headband, waistcoat, jeans and has a sash). I think a degree of uniformity is required, but it can make the figures bland.

      Of course what it does mean is that a single figure in isolation (accompanied by gurning, anatomically suspect comrades), works perfectly ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks :) He was pretty fun and easy to paint too

      Delete
  3. Great work!
    I also gotta hunt down some of those scums and add to the gang. Classic pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fat scummer with the plasa pistol is my favourite...sadly I don't have him :(

      Delete
    2. Heh, that one is the only one I have :)

      Delete
    3. Axiom - I have the fat scummer if you're interested. He needs a little paint stripper, but is otherwise intact. Fancy a trade?

      Delete
  4. Nice work, he looks cool. That's a great gang.

    That's an interesting point about the uniformity of the Necromunda range. I had not really thought much about that before, I think that you are bang on.

    I do see the Confrontation range as almost interchangeable with Necromunda in terms of style though. They both feature a specific 90s GW attitude to weapons and proportion.

    I have the model shown lined up for inclusion in my Blood Axe human advisors, The Edge to Kim Jong Bono.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul :) You're right, the Confrontation range is a direct lead into Necromunda, with some scale creep evident even within the Confrontation range itself. Compare the Elite Gangers and Dogskins with the Marauder Nomads and Scavvies. They all jostle nicely alongside each other though!

      Delete